Thursday, November 1, 2007

A little trompe loeil from Florida

Our daughters friend, Kim Miller does wonderful trompe loeil (I hope I'm spelling this correctly) painting. This is her, painting a Northern Michingan scene in our daughters home, its on a peak near the ceiling between her great room and kitchen. It now looks like a window to the outside.
My husband made this birch bark canoe for Melissa and her husband for Christmas. It's 5 ft. long and very authentic, (although I don't think it would carry many passengers). Their going to hang it so it looks like it's part of the scene. Kim also painted the wall behind the canoe, it has a wonderful "Venetion" finish, a lot of layers with metallic paints. (my picture is a little fuzzy) This is their piller in their entrance way, Kim gave it a wonderful marble finish.
This is our daughter and son-in -laws wedding quilt I made 4 years ago. They now have taken it off their bed and are using it as a wallhanging in their bedroom. It's their "family tree" quilt. I started with the palm tree since they started their marriage together in Florida, every immediate family member is represented by a block, mine is the my handprint with a needle and thread. The maple leaf represents Michigan where Melissa grew up and they met. The other hand prints are their children's, cut out of fabric I bought in Africa. I still have to add the newest childs (under the palm tree). There are wonderful strips of my son-in-laws traditional outfits. The long purple and orange, was hand-woven in Africa, I keep the shirt (I hung it in my living room) and cut up the pants. The gold panels were embroidered in Africa. I love using different ethnic fabrics.
The "antique" world map fabric completes the story as they will be traveling and living all over the world. Every block has the name of the person or story written on it.

1 comment:

Deb Hardman said...

The painting on the wall makes me think of Rabbit Blanket Lake. It looks a bit like my little quilt that I painted when we camped there with you & John.

That quit is still beautiful. It's such a nice story, & what a legacy for future generations.

  • Deb Hardman
  • Allie Aller
  • Jenny Bowker Cairo
  •