Tuesday, April 30, 2013

First Communion Quilts- Daffodil Dye



My grandsons are making their First Communion Sunday. Remembering their Baptism/First Birthday quilts I thought I should add on this new sacred date.



Of all the quilts I made them (and I've made a lot) these were their favorites. They are very well loved (meaning faded and lovingly worn).  I'm thrilled!



We celebrated their Baptism and 1st. birthday at the same time.
I appliqued on their one-year old hand prints with a Catholic medal sewn in behind one hand on each.
I love little surprises hidden in quits and add lots of written messages with my machine quilting on each.



I will be embroidery in their Communion information on the other side of the cross.



I purchased two pewter 1st. Communion crosses to sew on each quilt by the embroidery.



The boys haven't had their quilts since moving here from Florida almost two years ago. They were so excited when we got them out of storage. I washed them and they "tried" them on! Their legs seem to have grown!



They didn't care and each took his to bed (with their other full size quilts).
The secret to having grand babies love, love your quilts is using soft Minke Dot fabric on the back and wide silk binding on the edge.



I began the embroidery, not too easy on a piece already quilted. That's OK though,  this is my favorite type of quilt to work on, a family history quilt.
I told them I was going to sew on their Wedding date when they get married and they can take the quilt on their honey-moon.

 



To all my natural dyeing friends, Spring has finally arrived here and the daffodils are blooming. They make the most wonderful soft yellow "daffodil" dye.



I have quite a few of these full petal daffodils, I usually pick the flowers in the morning, soak them in cold water a few days, then simmer them with premordanted wool awhile, turn off the heat and leave overnight. I've done this for quite a few years and the color stays beautifully.
This year I only have time to pick the flowers and enjoy them on my desk at work. Hopefully next year they'll be in a dye pot.

No comments:

  • Deb Hardman
  • Allie Aller
  • Jenny Bowker Cairo
  •