Tuesday, April 3, 2012

1930's Quilts

I've never been too interested in 30's quilts, a little to "perky" for me, but I thoroughly enjoyed listening and seeing Kathy Kansier's collection. http://www.kathykansier.com Our local Art museum and quilt guild brought her in for a series of lectures and classes (on many different quilt subjects). She's a very talented quilter and teacher. She gave me permission to share a few of her 30's quilts with you. She collects 30's quilts with special boarder treatments. These were some of my favorites. This first one is hand appliqued and quilted, beautifully. I'm not a pink person but this was beautiful.

I love the appliqued boarder with yellow/orange berries. And look at all the tiny pink triangles appliqued on. Also lots of wonderful hand quilting.

This quilt had such different color flowers, salmony, pinky, orangey.


How would you like to hand-applique those pointy leaves?


This is different grandmother's flower garden quilt, black flower centers, many boarders with a couple black flowers (bumble bees?)pieced in, ending with a "zig zag" boarder.


A Dresden Plate with orange centers and matching appliqued triangle boarders.


This edge treatment follows the points of the fan blocks.


This edge not only is curved it has little tiny curves around each of the fans blades. Wonderful appliqued bows, sweet for a little girl.


Yo-yo quilt with appliqued yo-yo's to the backing fabric. The yo-yo's were placed in a nice pattern instead of the traditional all over scrap look.

Close up of the appliqued yo-yo's.


Another Dresden plate with a lot of appliqued blades. "ice cream cone" boarder.

Close up.


OK, this would not be my favorite "Sun Bonnet Sue" I've ever saw, I'm not getting the bonnets or umbrella?

The edge has gathered prairie points.

This is a different color daffodil quilt, check out the large "pennant" boarders.

This quilt had spider web quilting designs all over done with black thread.


A beautiful pieced Crazy quilt done in blocks.


With large white rick-rack edging.


Another sweet appliqued quilt.
With beautiful swag applique boarders.



Another fan quilt in a different setting pattern. (can't remember the name)

With pieced fan boarders on three sides.

What little girl wouldn't love this appliqued heart quilt.


With cute appliqued heart edge.



Another fan variation with a different setting, "ice cream cone" boarders.


Embroidered baby quilt.



With little rick-rack boarder.



My friend Kay's appliqued leaf quilt. This was a commercial pattern. I've seen other ones.


Beautifully done.

(Deb H., Kathy said she had the best pumpkin soup at your home! And she loves the little purse you made for her. Yes we were talking about you.)

3 comments:

Deb Hardman said...

Dang! I didn't realize she was going to the PALS guild!

We also had some really good crab, that Mary fixed for us while Kathy & I worked on getting 2 of my quilts appraised. I wish we could,ve seen her collection. Those quilts are beautiful!

Melodie said...

Oh my! What detail! I have a book with those girls and they call them 'Umbrella Girl'. A beautiful collection!

Melodie said...

Oh my! What detail! I have a book with those girls and they call them 'Umbrella Girl'. A beautiful collection!

  • Deb Hardman
  • Allie Aller
  • Jenny Bowker Cairo
  •