Monday, January 4, 2016

Winter Sampler quilt



New Years weekend (and Christmas weekend) found me happily piecing my winter sampler quilt together. I began this last November at quilt camp and have been wanting to get back to it since. The holidays are over and now the winter weekends are mine, (hopefully). Since this picture was taken the boarders are on, soon I'll begin machine quilting it.



Another favorite weekend project of mine is making essential oil creams, scrubs etc. This is a very easy one that everyone can make and everyone will love. It's a brown sugar scrub to help exfoliate and revitalize your skin. This is wonderful on your hands, feet, legs, arms etc.
I stated with a cup of brown sugar, 4 tablespoons of olive oil (you can use other types of oil, I didn't use coconut as it firms up when cold and with our old house plumbing I didn't think that was too good of idea and olive oil is so healing I thought it would be perfect), 10 drops of peppermint and 10 drops of orange essential oil (use your favorite essential oil, peppermint is nice for the winter). Mix all together in a glass dish then put in a low, covered glass jar. The jar has to be low because the oil will work its way to the bottom of the sugar. To use,take a little bit and work it in your hands, arms, etc. for about a minute then rinse off. Your skin will feel heavenly. Try not to get any water into the jar. I have one by our shower and one by the kitchen sink for after washing dishes.
 



When I was showing you  my old New Years quilts I forgot this one, boy I make a lot of New Years quilts and hardly ever make it to midnight! I made this for New Years 2000.
The winter before that New Years Eve my husband and I were camping in the U.P. of Michigan, we headed home early morning, the sky was full of stars and the trees were white with snow. I told him that scene will be my millennium quilt. We stopped at a quilt shop on the way home and picked up the fabrics. I shared some with my girlfriends and that fabric became our "challenge fabric for the year.
The background I did a easy crazy quilt method with lots of blues and silver stars and commemorative 2000 fabrics. The trees, stars and moon I did the same way using whites and silvers.

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Kathy. You are good, lady. You are really good! The new quilt is a masterpiece. And the story about the 2000 quilt makes it all the more special, the lights are so perfect on it. Happiest of years to you...and I've been meaning to make a handscrub, my rough & dry fingers are catching on fabric and threads when I sew, so thanks for posting the recipe, I need look no further than back here when I get around to it! xoxo

Anonymous said...

LOVE the tree quilt....it is beautiful that you can keep up most of the winter! And a great reminder of your camping days in the UP. So creative! Sounds like you are busier on the quilting front than I am. Good job!! Deb C

Kathy -MIQuilter said...

Thanks you guys for your kind comments. I'm trying to hibernate in the quilt studio this winter!

  • Deb Hardman
  • Allie Aller
  • Jenny Bowker Cairo
  •