Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The flowers are calling.



From now until our first frost it is such an exciting time for natural dyeing. The flowers are lush and full, with more plants blooming every day.  It's time to harvest and dye!
Last week I picked an assortment of  yellow/orange flowers I knew would produce a good dye to make a sampler of sorts. The flower include calendula, gaillardia, cosmos, and dyers chamomile.



They all left their prints with cosmos taking center stage.



I wasn't too excited about the black-eye-Susan's, when just placed in a pot and simmered they produce a dull gold. But when I wrapped them in wool and steamed them



they gave a beautiful, colorful print.



I think this would make a cute scarf with my black winter coat.



I can't remember the name of this flower but it was so bright and intense I gave it a try.



Not too exciting.



I added a row of cosmos to the weaving.



Did you ever see cuter bean plants?



The humming birds love the orange flowers.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love how the black eyed susans turned out!! one of my fav. summer flowers!! Deb C

  • Deb Hardman
  • Allie Aller
  • Jenny Bowker Cairo
  •