Thursday, July 10, 2014

St. Johns wort and Vacationing



St. John's wort (also know as St. Joan's wort) is a medicinal and natural dye plant. It grows along the  roadsides here.  I've been very busy working and packing to go camping but that didn't matter it was time to harvest and dye with it. Working with plants you go by their time not yours. I love that, it keeps you moving, no procrastinating! My post is about dyeing with the flowers but Peggy womanwithwingsblog.blogspot.com has a great post on preserving St. Joan's wort for medicinal use. "Peggy we need to know more about what you will use it for".



Close up, see the tips of the stamens and the raggedy edge to the flower petals,
the moment they made contact with the wet wool and silk red dye came off them.






You can see the dye coming through before I even steamed them.



A week later I have spring green and purple print fabric.



It looks a lot greener in real life.






The left over stems I wove into my weaving.



I don't know if I already showed you this wonderful face/neck toner but this one is worth repeating. It is very easy all natural toner any one can make:  1/2 cup of distilled water
1/4 cup of witch hazel
8 drops of your favorite essential oil scent
Pour into spray bottle and shake.
I keep mine in the refrigerator, it's nice and cool when you come in from the heat or wake up in the early morning. You'll love it.



Off we went last week to our favorite wilderness campground.
The boys fished,



and fished.



Learned to kayak (thank you Vicky!)



The wild roses were in bloom all around the lake,



the water lilies were blooming,



the mushrooms were just starting to peek through,



I've never seen such a variety of mushrooms,



can't wait to come back.
 



When I had free time I sat on our little dock and quilted. This was printed with dyers coreopsis. I'm quilting around the spots to make them into little flowers.



I put a few stitches in leafy boarders.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The flower dying was great, love the colors that came thru. and the campground speaks for itself, the best place to rest and regroup! Looks like you had great weather!!
Deb C

  • Deb Hardman
  • Allie Aller
  • Jenny Bowker Cairo
  •