Thursday, January 22, 2009

Prom/wedding rememberence quilt

When I spoke to the genealogy society I took some of my older "family" quilts I made along to give them different ideas. As I was putting them away last night I snapped a picture of this one I made this in 1992. The middle lace idea was from a pattern but I took it a lot further adding a lot of family pieces. The long white glove (one of the pair) was my cousins who wore them to her prom then passed them on to me to wear to mine. I went to the prom with my future husband. The long black glove was from the pair my daughter wore to her senior prom and the black bow tie my son wore to his senior prom (when I returned his tux I bought the tie). The short white glove (one of the pair) my mother-in law wore to our wedding. Some of the other pieces, the butterfly's came off our wedding cake, the purple ribbon roses my girlfriend made before she passed away from breast cancer. When I was in the hospital one of my friends sent me a piece of tatting she made (above the black glove, right side). The corners I cut antique hankies in quarters and hand stitched them on. My friends shared different lace pieces, some are antique some not. Many of the buttons are very old, some not. The little silver rings were on our 20th anniversary cake.

1 comment:

Deb Hardman said...

I always loved this quilt. I'm glad your talk went well. Wish I could've been there!

  • Deb Hardman
  • Allie Aller
  • Jenny Bowker Cairo
  •