Friday, December 2, 2016

Christmas decorating.


I spent a weekend machine quilting my Santa quilt. I enjoyed every minute working on this piece. It's not from a cute Santa pattern, it's from my dear friends hearts and hands.


There are a lot of fun embellishments on the blocks.
My moon block has a vintage brooch pinned at the end of his hat, shining like a star!


A wonderful tin lantern lights the way.


Needle felted fur and buttons.


Wool trees and needled felted snow.


My husband and I took the grandsons to Fredrick Meijer Gardens to enjoy the start of the Christmas season. They have 40 trees from all over the world each decorated with traditional ornaments and the folklore stories of each country. Love that.
The long entrance way was decorated with hanging grapevine orbs woven with little lights.
 


Some were tucked in between white birch sticks.
The whole grounds were lit up. Night time would be magical.


In the large conservatory they had fresh cut cedar trees with a large train running through the different "rooms".


Hand made buildings made from natural twigs, nuts, acorns etc.


Most of the buildings were replicas of the buildings in Grand Rapids.


The grandsons.


This palm tree is decorated with traditional made lights from the Philippines.


Not to bore you with all the trees:)
This Ukraine tree is decorated according to their folklore story.  A family was so poor they could not afford to decorate their tree. When they went to bed the spiders wove webs throughout the tree. The next morning when the Sun shone on it, the webs turned to silver and gold.


Wonderful hand woven Kente and batik cloth represented the country of  Uganda.
Well, it's off to decorate my own house with our own family traditions and folklore!
I hope you enjoy decorating yours.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Kathy! I lovelovelove your moon block. Wonderful embellishments on this treasure, you get so much done, I don't know how you do it all. Those 10 days with your quilting friends -- what a good thing to do for yourself. The pumpkin dye-pot....! I've had a lot going on with family the last 8 months so haven't been able to keep up with blogging or reading blogs as much as I'd like. But I'm back (I think) and have just had a great time here with my favorite woodland quilter. xo

Kathy -MIQuilter said...

Hi Peggy, one reason I keep blogging is it doesn't let me procrastinate about a project or idea. It makes me slow down. You have to have something (hopefully interesting) to post:) And that 10 days away with no family/work obligations is liked you died and went to quilter's heaven! I have also have a lot of family obligations now, but that's ok, I'm very glad I can take care of my parents and help with the grandkids.
I try to get in one post a week but sometime I'm just not able. Sometime it's hard to change focus and I don't like to share my worries on the blog.

  • Deb Hardman
  • Allie Aller
  • Jenny Bowker Cairo
  •