Monday, April 25, 2016

Earth Day/ Birthday/ Full Moon block



Our skies cleared in time for the Full moon and I was ready for it with my moon block waiting to be quilted.



This year with it being Earth day, my 60th birthday and a Full moon I had fun making a block to include all.
I appliqued on the moon, padded with extra batting, embroidered on the "60" candles and flames on top, and also embroidered on trees representing the Earth.
Hopefully this isn't an omen that we will have to plant trees on the moon to live:(



Full moon night I sat in bed and quilted it under the moon and my new "beam and read" battery light.



I designed this summer wall hanging to stitch with my wools.
Each layer of the bee skep will be a different yellow.
This past week I began dyeing, a little each day.



A couple of layers were dyed with Osage orange tree bark.


I love these little pieces of plaid and striped wool. I buy them from www.primitivegatherings.us  It's a wonderful quilt shop I buy little bundles of this wool, just enough to use for applique. (There's no chunks cut out of them.)


Another row was dyed with dried dyers chamomile from my garden last summer.






Of course, I needed daffodils and was not able to find any cut daffodils in the stores, my friend put a message on Facebook and one of her friends donated these to give to me! How wonderful was that, thank you Deb.
I soaked them a few days in water than simmered them in the dye bath with a piece of wool.
 


Saturday I woke to find this pail full of dandelions picked by my young neighbor girl and left on my porch. She came back later and helped me dye the wool. She's 10 and love herbs, natural dyes and making natural skin creams with me. She'll be a great herbalist someday.



Dyed with dandelions.



And this is the "collection"
Starting on the left, daffodils, dandelions, chamomile and two Osage orange.



I planted some "Ancient sweet pepper" seeds.
I wanted to show you the "green house" I started them in.
This is an organic egg carton you buy filled at the store.
It has a drain tray on the bottom and the plastic lid on the top that the sun will shine through.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are welcome for the daffodils....I love how your yellow/golds turned out. It will make a great bee skep. It is fun to watch plain color wool turn into your creations! and your full moon earthday birthday block turned out good as well. See you soon....Deb C

Judy Martin said...

Those yellow wools are gorgeous! You make it seem so easy.
x

Deb Hardman said...

Love love love the dyes& the fact that 1 10 year-old neighbor girl is into it too! Lucky her! To have you my dear friend! I sure do miss you!

truongmuunghenhan said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

An Thái Sơn chuyên võng điện máy đưa võng hay võng điện cho bé và chia sẻ kinh nghiệm giúp quý khách biết cục điện đưa võng giá bao nhiêu cũng như máy đưa võng loại nào tốt nhất cho giấc ngủ của bé.

  • Deb Hardman
  • Allie Aller
  • Jenny Bowker Cairo
  •