Monday, November 7, 2011

Textiles of Frank Connet

Our local Art Museum has a wonderful textile collection on exhibit. The work combines all of my favorite things, hand-woven wool fabric with shibori techniques, and natural dyes. Who could ask for more!
Frank Connet is the artist who blends all these techniques beautifully. He is a textile conservator who has worked with antique textiles for the past 25 years.
The dyes he used on these large pieces are natural indigo and black walnut. The indigo was a deep warm blue, he dipped the fabric into the dye vat 25-30 times.
He has other pieces he dyed with assorted natural dyes and hand quilted but they weren't on exhibit with this collection, (I wish they were).
The collection is at the Art museum until Jan. 15, all my local friends. Try to see it, it's much more wonderful in person, and we need to support the museum so they bring in many more textile collections.



Double click on the pictures for a closer look.







Close up.






This one was titled Blue Pearl II












Limestone II


Tomorrow I'm off to my bee's annual week long quilting retreat in Northern Michigan. I'm going to finish my grandson's Christmas quilts. Their all pieced and layered, I just have to machine quilt them and sew on the bindings. I also packed some of my natural dyed wool to make myself a purse and we'll see what other projects I can't resist making.
I'll see you next week with "show and tell" from all the projects of the week.















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a GREAT time, all of you!!! I will look forward to seeing and hearing all you get done. Will be thinking about you all during the week. Deb C. (maybe next year :( )

Deb Hardman said...

I have to just say, "WOW!". Wonderful shibori.

  • Deb Hardman
  • Allie Aller
  • Jenny Bowker Cairo
  •