Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Rain Forest quilt

Driving all over the island there are these huge tall trees in bloom, I'm not sure of the name but this is a close up of the flowers.
This is the tree.
After we went on our hike to the rain forest I drew this sketch in my book. When I came home I was still so enchanted with the rain forest I decided to reproduce the sketch with fabric.
This is the beginning (still just pinned to my design wall), I've put in some of my favorite parts, snail, butterfly, lizard, flowers and coque. Puerto Rico has this little brown frog that is very small yet it is very loud, it sings all night long, their called coque. There are petroglyphs of coque the native Taino people drew hundreds of years ago. They will be a lot of embroidered details in the quilt and I'm beginning to play around with the boarders.

This picture did not show the detail like I had hoped, its inside our kids house, the textile Alka's parents brought her from India, it's hand embroidered wool with the little mirrors sewed in. (maybe if you double click on the picture it will show better). There are a pair of the antique pillers on either side of the doorway also from India.

This piece shows the detail much better, it's all hand embroidered with the little mirrors. The piece is telling a story but I can't remember what it is.
These are swans from Thailand, their a very heavy metal.
I promise this is all from Puerto Rico but I did feel another rain forest quilt inside of me (I love every type of woods), yesterdday I designed it and started cutting it out, when I get it pinned up I'll post it.

1 comment:

Melodie said...

The wall hanging is beautiful! I'll bet it twinkles when the light is right.

  • Deb Hardman
  • Allie Aller
  • Jenny Bowker Cairo
  •