Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Eclipse on the Lake and into my quilt


The weather people said it was going to be cloudy and very poor viewing, but yea they were wrong! My daughter and I packed up a picnic, including "eclipse" cake I made. Vanilla cake for the sun, fresh blackberries for the moon and swirls of lemon glaze for the few little clouds we had.


With our eclipse glasses packed, off we went to the lake. Watch a minute...


then into the lake to play football then back to watch again.


Ok, this is my pathetic try at taking a picture while wearing the glasses, it didn't work.


My resist dyed indigo wool from a couple of weeks ago,


becoming the base of my eclipse block, which will eventually be sewed into my Sun and Moon quilt. The "moon" hasn't been cut out yet just folded under and will be embroidered with lots of moon "texture" using rayon floss I bought in Mexico years ago.

3 comments:

Deb Hardman said...

You got a better view than I did! Which was no view at all. It was rainy & cloudy, & too far north for much eclipse! I should've gone to visit Brandon in TN! They got the totality! I Love your block

Anonymous said...

Sorry...getting behind on my blog reading! What a fun cake idea, you are so good at baking with nothing! Love your wool eclipse moon, will be a great quilt when finished! I would embroider the date on the eclipse block to remember it....just an idea. See you Thursday! Deb C.

Peggy said...

I love how you're incorporating the eclipse into your work -- it will be so wonderful.
We had 92% coverage here but I was watching my little granddaughter that day and didn't have anything for her eyes so to play it safe we stayed inside. Every few minutes though I'd sneak out the back door and take a peek with some welders glasses on! xo

  • Deb Hardman
  • Allie Aller
  • Jenny Bowker Cairo
  •