I especially enjoy the quilts from around the world. This piece won second place in the machine quilting category. I didn't get the makers name but she was from America. The details are unbelievable, it looked like a painting.
There were about 30 or more there and they were all for sale, and selling very quickly. The designs and workmanship were beautiful.
Most had flowers and vines on them, also a lot had birds.
I love loved the exhibit from Japan. The card gives above gives the description of the quilt below.
The workmanship was beautiful on this quilt, I love the dragon with the tail wrapping around the quilt on the boarders of an old obi.
This was one of my favorites, Please read this description card.
As I was enjoying this quilt I could hear comments on how this shouldn't be in the quilt show, etc. etc. but to me this quilt had so much soul.
I love the use of the old kimono linings in this quilt.
And speaking of the moon, remember this Friday is the second full moon of a month, when that occurs they call it a "Blue Moon". This months moon is also known as the "Harvest Moon". I'm working on my moon block and will share it with you and my "Blue Moon party", and blocks next week. If it's clear out Friday go out at sunset and see the full moon rising, when it's near the earth it appears much larger and oranger.
Speaking of orange my cosmos are so cute and perky and waiting to be picked. I've dried most of them but had to use a little.
It turned a peachy fawn color and the leave prints show up more clearly.
The Polk berries are ripening and begging to be used. They say that the fabric fades right away with this dye so I never really use it. In this new book I have it said if you use white vinegar as the mordant and in the dye water the color will stay. I'm giving it a try.
I crushed up the berries and put them in the dye pot with water and some vinegar. Simmered the fabric in the pot on low a couple of hours, no high heat with berries. Left it over night, then hung the fabric out in the shade a day. The next day I rinsed it with clear water.
This is how the wool looks now, (actually it's not this pretty in real life, a little duller). I'm going to leave it out and see if it fades.
I also threw this piece of alum mordant wool in the pot, this piece is real dull and not a pretty color. (The picture looks better than it is)
This is the book the recipe came from.
I don't know how this picture came up at the end of this post, of well, this is how the berries looked before I pulled them off their stems and mashed them up in the dye pot.
I hope you can get out and do some moon watching, I'll see you next week!